Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza


First of all, it's my birthday.  My 6th 29th birthday to be exact.  Somehow, I have ended up baking another batch of Mexican brownies, chocolate chunk cookies, and have been conned by my four year old son into making pizza's for supper.  Um, I don't think I'm supposed to be doing this much work on my birthday.  Not to mention that I just cleaned out the fridge, scrubbed it squeaky clean, and got on my hands and knees to vacuum the coils.  What's wrong with this picture?  At least I didn't have to bake my own cake.  Thank you Coldstone Creamery.  I totally have to cash in that free sundae coup that they sent me for my birthday.  Maybe when I come out of the sugar coma that I'll be in for the next week after all this junk food.




So, seriously, deep dish pizza.  Being from the Midwest, I grew up making frequent trips into Chicago.  Whether it was with friends, my parents or visiting family, there was usually deep dish pizza involved.  Really, the whole contest of New York vs Chicago is just ridiculous.  Deep dish is a meal.  Deep dish is King.  When it's made right, the outside of the dough is crispy, the inside is chewy, and for the love of all that is holy, it should be oozing Wisconsin cheese.  Happy Cows are not from California.  They live in the pasture around the corner from my house.  Really, if you have never been to Chicago for pizza, get your ass in gear and head to Gino's East, or the original Pizzeria Uno, or any other good dive with awesome pizza.  Does anyone know of a good dive?  Seriously, I'm always looking to broaden my pizza horizons.  Post a comment and let me know the where, when and awesomeness of said dive.  Until then, give this recipe a try.  I guarantee you'll dig it.


Also, thanks to all my peeps who have bombarded me with calls, FB messages, loot and e-mails with all those birthday wishes.  I'm blessed.  Either that or you just love me for my mad cooking skills.  Either way, I'm grateful for each and every one of you.


Chicago Deep Dish Pizza


Dough recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse


Dough
11/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
1 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 teaspoons to grease bowl
1 teaspoon salt


In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 2 cups of the flour, 1/2 cup of the oil, and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil.

Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Press the dough into a 9 inch round pan, pressing dough up the sides of the pan.  Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.  



Sauce
1 15 oz can Red Gold crushed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp Penzey's fines herbs
splash of red wine



Combine all ingredients and mix well


Pizza
1 dough recipe, divided and pressed into pans
1 sauce recipe, divided
4 cups shredded mozzerella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
pepperoni or sausage
additional favorite toppings

In each pan, over the dough layer 1 cup of cheese, meat topping, additional favorite toppings, and then 1 cup of cheese


Top pizza's with sauce, covering to the edges.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Bake at 475 for 30 minutes.  Allow pizza to rest for 10 minutes after removing from the oven.  Run a knife around the edges, move to a large cutting board, and cut into slices. 


Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment