Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Ham


Easter ham.  That's all I can think about.  My Mom's Easter ham.  Yeah, I know. Easter should be about jellybeans and chocolate bunnies.  Oh, don't even get me started on the whole bunnies leaving eggs thing.  Here's the deal.  I like Easter.  I love putting on an egg hunt for our friends and family every year.  I enjoy breaking bread with my family for the holiday.  The simple fact is, I'm selfish.  It's all a means to an end.  That end is my Mom's Easter ham.  Everyone in the family starts salivating for it the day after Christmas.  It's just that good.  My sister and I know how to make it, but the truth is, nobody makes it like Mom.  Oh, and the gravy!  Have you every had ham gravy?  I would bet you that only a few of you have.  Most people are shocked when I talk about the ham gravy.  Sort of sweet from the brown sugar, savory from the ham.  Oh, it's like a heavenly little party in your mouth.

Last year I begged Mommy dearest to write down her ham recipe.  I was informed that it's not a recipe, it's just done, it's eyeballed.  Well, I get it.  I make lots of things the same way.  You just know it by look and taste.  I begged some more.  Frankly, I begged for years.  Finally, she succumbed.  Mom wrote it down as she made it.  I'm sharing it with you, dear readers.  The only problem is that no matter how good any of us get at making it, it will never be the same as hers.  Maybe it's the love.

Mom's Easter Ham

1 - 22 Pound Hillshire ham (yes, you'll need a big one.  LEFTOVERS!)
6 C water
1 Can ginger ale
1 Can 7-up
1 can pineapple slices
1 small jar maraschino cherries
whole cloves
1 jars Heinz Homestyle Pork Gravy
4 TB brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 
Place ham in a large pan with the water.  Bake, covered with foil for 2 1/2 hours.  While baking, mix 1/4 C of the juice from the pineapple slices with with brown sugar, adding more sugar as needed until it is thick.  Remove the ham from the oven.  Score the top, lay the pineapple slices on the ham.  Spoon the glaze over the the slices and the rest of the ham.  Place cherries in the center of each pineapple slice.  Stud ham with whole cloves.  To the pan, add the rest of the pineapple juice, 7-up, ginger ale and the gravy.  Mix slightly, cover ham, bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Remove the foil from the ham, bake for an additional 45 minutes in order to brown the ham.  Add more water to the pan if needed.  

Remove ham from oven, tent with foil and allow to stand for 15 to 30 minutes before carving.

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't forget to use those fabulous drippings to make the most incredible ham gravy you will ever taste!


No comments:

Post a Comment