Monday, December 13, 2010

Chili


I was asked yesterday why I did not post my chili recipe when I spoke of of the slush/cheese straw/chili trifecta. Well, I have two really good reasons.  1.  I don't have a recipe.  I just do it.  2. Chili is a personal thing.  What constitutes chili for one person, may not be that to another.  Now, I'm told I make a good chili.  I think it's just that I have mostly served it to people who have the same preferences as I when it comes to this dish.  My chili is tomatoey, with lots of beans, lots of flavor depth due to the brand of chili powder I use.  It's also thick, but has enough liquid in it to add a hearty helping of saltines, and a topper of cheese.  I think it's also pleasing to alot of men, because I add a cut up steak to it.  Now, if you're a tex-mex chili lover, or heavy on the cumin needing that smokey flavor chili lover, don't bother.  This isn't the chili for you.  Again, chili is a personal thing.  I'm posting my recipe for chili, and I hope you enjoy it.
Regarding the ingredients in this recipe.  I am very specific about a few things in this recipe.  I used Red Gold diced tomates, Red Gold tomato juice, and when I can get it, Red Gold tomato sauce.  I use Bush's for the chili beans, and I use Penzey's for the Chili Seasoning.  I don't guarantee results otherwise.  Some ingredients manufactured by other names just don't taste the same.  If you only use one name brand ingredient, I HIGHLY suggest it be the Penzey's chili powder.  It gives an amazing depth to the flavor of this chili, and using a substitute does not yield the same results.  Of course, you may feel free to blame me after you get hooked on Penzey's Spices, however, my blame in the matter will not tender enough guilt to open my pocketbook.


Jaime's Chili
Makes a large batch, plenty for freezing.


Olive oil
1# top sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 1/2 # lean ground beef or chuck
2 1/2  tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 TB chili powder
1 medium onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 29 oz cans tomato sauce
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
3 16 oz cans chili beans in mediium sauce
2 16 oz cans kidney beans, drained
1 large bay leaf
1 Tb granulated onion
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 TB cumin
1 TB oregano or Italian herb mix
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes


In a large heavy bottom pot, pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom.  Heat to medium-high, add steak, ground beef, onion and green pepper.  Season with 2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp salt and 1 TB chili powder.  When the meat is almost cooked, add the garlic.


Add the beans, sauce, tomatoes, tomato juice, remaining chili powder, remaining pepper, and the rest of the herbs.  Simmer on medium-low for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment