Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie



I can already taste the turkey. I am salivating at the thought of the stuffing and the gravy. I'm dreaming of the potatoes and the creamed peas. I'm already saving room for dessert. Yes, it's that time of year. The 10 pounds of winter begins with Thanksgiving. I'm ready to kick it off with a dessert that will add two pounds alone. Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie. Even if you're not a fan of pecan pie (which I'm not) you will swoon over this confection of chocolate, caramel and pecans topped off with sea salt and whipped cream. I am asked each year to make this pie, and each year it is remembered as better than the last.



Before I get into the recipe, I'm going to beg your indulgence. I want to take a few minutes to let my readers know why I am so joyous about this particular Thanksgiving. It's been a difficult year. My mother, who just turned 71 has had heart issues for the last 11 years. It began with a small heart attack, and has moved on to include 9 stents in her heart since that time. Early this year, I began to worry. I saw a change in her that scared me and shook my to my very core. Mom was not well. She was pale, tired alot and often short of breath. I think she was afraid to see her doctor. After consulting with my two brothers and my sister, we had an intervention of sorts. Well, Mom ended up at the cardiologists office within two days, and was immediately checked into Dean St. Mary in Madison, WI. What was supposed to be another stent quickly changed and she was scheduled for double bypass surgery. Well, surgery came, and ended up including a valve repair as well. Mom had a long recovery, including an exciting ambulance ride complete with lights and sirens. So, you could say that I am thankful this year. My Mom is well, and my Dad has another year of being cancer free.

To celebrate this milestone and Mom's birthday, the whole family got together for something we have never done before. Family portraits. If you live in the Madison area, I highly suggest that you hire local photographer, Erin Weberpal. Erin does an amazing job. Not only does she have a fantastic eye, but she is able to capture the personalities of young children in her photo's. I'm always amazed by her. Check Erin's mad skills out at her websitehttp://dontblinkbyerin.blogspot.com/or on facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/dontblinkbyerin





Another added joy this year was the surprise move of my nephew and his family back to WI. Jason and I were always very close growing up. After the two of us leaving WI and moving around, we are finally for the first time in 13 years living within an hour of each other again. To top my joy on this one, Jason has an amazing wife, Sarah, who I am so lucky to call my friend. Last but not least, their beautiful little daughter, my Great Niece, Reese. Our whole family is so happy to have them back. Now if we could just get my other nephew Josh and his new wife Justine to move a little closer to home, life would be about perfect.


Yes, life is good, all around. I have more blessings than sorrows, and more laughter than tears. I'm thankful for family and good friends. I'm thankful for the roof over my head and the food on my table. I'm thankful for the two little children that keep me busy all day. I'm thankful for a husband that sticks by my side in good times and in bad. I look all around me and see evidence of a loving and merciful God.


Thanks for letting me share my joy with you.


Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie with Caramel and Sea Salt





For the pie:


1 1/2 C pecans
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

4 eggs, beaten
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TB bourbon
pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spread the pecan pieces and the chocolate chips evenly on the bottom of the pie shell. In a mixing bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together. Pour the filling over the pecans. Bake until the filling sets, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the pie and sprinkle with sea salt.

Caramel Sauce:

3/4 C sugar
2 TB water
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 C heavy cream
2 TB to 1/4 C whole milk

Combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until the mixture becomes a deep amber color, about 4 minutes, watching closely so it doesn't burn. Add cream slowly, as it will bubble up, whisk to combine, remove from the heat.

Add 2 TB of the milk, then add up to 2 more TB, until the desired consistency is reached. Allow to thicken slightly (this will thicken as it cools) and drizzle over the pie. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment