Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fall in Wisconsin

Few things spark my childhood memories like the Fall Season. I grew up in the country, surrounded by fields of corn, woods full of maple trees, and ancient oaks. The long summer months would wax and wane, until one morning you would wake up to a barely perceptible scent in the air. Somewhat sharp, spicy, smoky even, tempered by the cool crisp air. The humidity was gone, along with the mosquitoes. You might go outside and notice a maple tree beginning to turn yellow or red. In a few weeks, mother nature would put on show like no other. Brilliant orange sunsets setting the horizon on fire, swaths of color cutting into the green of the woods, cool gentle rains lulling you into peaceful slumber. Yes, fall had definitely arrived.

I love this season more than any other time of year. There is something so wonderful about tucking your garden into bed for the winter, gathering apples from the orchard, burning leaves, and finding that one perfect pumpkin for the porch. Yes, fall is here. The farmers are busy harvesting the fields, the straw is golden, the leaves are starting to come down, and my kids are waiting patiently for me to make a pile they can jump and play in.

I live in Wisconsin. I love the weather here, the seasonal changes that only the midwest can offer. I cannot imagine why people live in California or Florida. I'm sure it's nice in the winter when it's 20 below, but that is the only amenity it affords me. I'm a mid-westerner, born and bred. Life here is small town, simple and easy. Sure, we have our problems, but we also have so many joys and blessings. This falls season, I count mine. One is four, and one is two. Both of them are wearing flannel jammies because it's cool out. My other blessing is sitting in front of fire he built, waiting patiently for me to put on a jacket and join him for some quiet time. I hope that my readers enjoy this season as much as I do. I hope you smile when you bite into that first honeycrisp apple, or when you find yourself thinking of Linus at the pumpkin patch, and checking it's sincerity.

Happy Fall, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment